Thursday, March 19, 2009

I am Gorilla-also: P.S. Bal bal bal

I feel like the rosy comics-tinted future I've hoped for since I was a kid is getting closer each day.Speaking of kids and Comics-here are a few pieces I did with the kids during 'free drawing' at their request. Generally they ask for things like "ah Ironman Comic" or "Hulk and Ironman...can you draw that?" It's nice to know that the classics are still appreciated This first one is done with crayola markers and an office pen.



This one was a flip-chart marker and a micron 03 I think



Tomorrow Lindsey and I are going to her cousins wedding in Idaho so today I'll leave you with this collaborative golden nugget of weirdness that I made with the help of several young artists at my day job:



So... Do you like the dress or not?

Well, since I started the draft of this post we left and we have returned from Idaho. It was a good time. Boise is a neat little town but there aren't enough trees for me.

Also please check out this site: "Jellaby" via the Secret Friend Society website, which is my pick of the post.



There is a bit of Mingola in there and the cartooning is well executed. It reminds me of the best things that James Kochalka does and a bit of my friend Colleen Coover. I was doing some searches on Fantasy and Sci-fi Comics/Blogs and eventually found my way to a few sites. There is a ridiculous amount of terrible manga-style crap out there and I can't get into it. That style is the visual equivalent of Beyonce's singing... by that I mean gratuitous and terrible especially when imitated by amateurs... yuck. On the other hand I was given a Osamu Tezuka book by Dustin Weaver at the studio (a tale of future Phoenix) and it is pretty cool. Dustin has many interesting insights into it and yet, like my Manga-phobia, he had trouble getting over the initial hurdle of the drawing style. Luckily there are a few quality comics out there to combat the tide of dragonball/sailor-moon wannabes and Secret Friend Society project "Jellaby" is one of those. What I saw included nice color choices, compitant panel layouts and good storytelling. Check it out. If the reasons I gave aren't enough just remember: it isn't Manga.

No comments:

Post a Comment