Friday, April 24, 2009

Stumptown, A New Guitar, Avengers...Assemble!

So, Stumptown was fun but I was only there for Sunday. Saturday was spent mostly practicing with the new lineup of Emily Herring's country band 'Henpecked' in which I play lead guitar and steel guitar. Previously I was bringing two dobros to each gig and practice along with my telecaster. Thanks to the guys at Guitar Crazy I am the proud owner of a 1947' 1050 model National double neck Console steel guitar. Each neck has eight strings and it is really really cool sounding. I have what I need to play with just about anyone now.



It only had one previous owner and that gentleman bought it when it was new. He also had a hand built combo amp he bought around the same time (1947) from a guy named Leo Fender who didn't go on to do anything significant in the world of guitars... but seriously the amp was worth as much as a small house. The lesson here is that old guys rule. Thanks for passing the torch sir, whoever you may be.

As for Stumptown it was cool and I made contact wit a few editors including Dianna Schutz and Bob Schreck both of whom were very gracious. I was introduced to Bob by my friend Steve Lieber as being "the real deal" which made me feel good and want to work harder so that I might be worthy of such praise. That stuff was good and I came away with some business cards. Later on Lindsey and I had dinner with some friends of ours the Johnsons and their friends from NY Ryan Dunlavey and his wife.

I am working my way through some sample pages and Here I've posted my line work and then the spotted blacks that I did on a print out of my pencils(shown in a previous post.)You might notice some corrections in both the transition from the penciling stage to the fine line and the fine line to the blacks. I just couldn't stand the spiderman I had drawn. Also Jeff Parker and Steve told me my Hulk wasn't exactly Hulky enough so I went back and altered some of that stuff too.






I also wanted to post an Avengers commission I requested from an 8 year old at my work named Mia who very sweetly told me "I don't like super heroes" to which I said "Well I don't really like Mermaids but I draw them for you." I bribed her with jelly beans. So here for evryone's enjoyment is a sweet team shot pinup by Ms. Mia; Clockwise from upper left is Giant Girl, The Hulk, Storm, Iron Man, Captain America and Wolverine.


Yes-I love it.

My POTP this time is a charmingly cool craft site belonging to a girl named Leslie Levings who stole the Stumptown show taking everyone's heart by storm via her polymer clay creations.



Check out beastlies to see her unique sculpey creations and tell me you don't kind of want to own like 10 of them.

Back to drawing!

1 comment:

  1. Benjamin, bribing children with candy? Tsk tsk...for shame!

    ReplyDelete